(Rental)-Practice Drills to Ramp Up Defensive Pressure
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Defensive Pressure Drills Basketball Video
Discover eight new practice drills to help you strengthen your defense in this video from UTEP head coach Rodney Terry. It was not long ago that Terry was a high school freshman coach. He has risen through the ranks winning a Mountain West Conference tournament title at Fresno State in 2016 and producing four 20-win seasons with the Bulldogs. He is currently resurrecting the UTEP program, one in which he is building a sound pressure defense.
In the video, Coach Terry shares eight drills that will sharpen your defensive execution. Terry also gives some insight into how coaches can improve the foundation of a team’s culture.
Essential Program Elements
Terry’s coaching experience has developed within him a core of beliefs that are necessary to be successful. Coach Terry shares some of his experiences and reflects on his success in the coaching world. His stories include stories about strengthening player relationships. Constructing a more cohesive coaching staff and developing a team identity are also discussed.
Core Defensive Drills
Coach Terry teaches three drills that can improve pressure in the full court. Each drill develops the necessary fundamentals for any type of press defense.
- 3-Man Transition: players are challenged to stop an opponent’s fast break by slowing down the ball and taking away advance passes
- 2-on-2 Convert: players learn to go from offense to defense quickly, improve their on-ball defense, and learn to help in the backcourt
- Corral Drill: defenders master controlling the dribbler in the open court
Coach Terry dives into his half-court defense with five breakdown defensive pressure drills that teach multiple phases of the game.
- Three-Line Closeouts: contain dribble penetration
- Continuous Closeouts: another drill that emphasizes stopping dribble penetration and helps players learn to adjust closeouts based on scouting reports
- Jump to the Ball: the drill works through several elements of a possession including on-ball defense, denying cuts, and help defense
- Single Exchange: teaches how to support teammates from the help side, denying weakside movement, and helping on baseline drives
- Michigan State Drill: players learn to execute the hard hedge and catch against ball screens
Coach Terry’s 66-minute video is a great look at building culture and building the type of defense that is capable of winning championships. Rent this defensive pressure drills basketball DVD today.