(Rental)-Creating a Culture of Success & My Favorite Drills
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Basketball Team Culture & Drills with Porter Moser
Head coach Porter Moser led Loyola-Chicago to an improbable run to the 2018 Final Four, but the foundation for his team’s success was laid year’s prior. Moser created a culture that led to a Missouri Valley championship and a trip to the national semifinals. In this video, you will get an inside look at how Moser created that culture as well as some of the strategies he used and some of his favorite drills. He also shares some thoughts on special situations like inbound plays, press breaks, timeouts, and more.
Creating Good Basketball Team Culture
Based on his coaching experience, Moser has learned what works and what doesn’t. He shares some of his tips for developing a winning culture by identifying the concepts and words that you want your players to internalize. You will see how Moser demands the very best from each drill in practice and how to deal with adversity.
Moser also demonstrates four practice drills that he feels are the key to the success of any team’s ability to score. The drills help to improve the most basic of basketball skills – passing, shooting, driving, and finishing at the rim. The drills include:
- Warm Ups: Prepare players for practice with a high-energy passing drill that demands focus.
- Finishing: The full-court Celtic Layup drill forces players to execute every detail perfectly.
- Shooting: Train players to make a 3-pointer in transition with a competitive shooting drill.
- Dribble Drive: Break down spacing rules on dribble penetration with shooting drills that get you multiple shots on every rep.
Build an Efficient Defense
Moser’s 2018 team was second in the nation in fewest fouls per game and led the country in defensive efficiency. Coach Moser discusses the three areas that are critical to an efficient defense.
- On-Ball Defense: Teach players to closeout, stop the drive, and contest shots using a breakdown drill with easy teaching points.
- Help Defense: Use a 3-on-3 drill to help players understand proper positioning and technique when a player drives to the basket.
- Switching: Learn to incorporate switching into your team defense while minimizing mistakes.
Coach Moser also includes some ideas for special situations that all coaches face. You will learn a baseline inbound play to help you score through an advantage with your post players. Moser includes thoughts on breaking the press, how to use timeouts strategically, and a strategy on setting up the defense after a free throw.
This video offers up a wealth of information on a variety of basketball topics. If you are looking to build a program, Coach Moser’s video is a great place to start! Rent this basketball team culture DVD today.