(Rental)-Creating A Championship Post Player
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Duke Basketball: Post Player Drills
Post play is extremely important at all levels of basketball. In this video, former Duke player and coach Jeff Capel takes you through a post player workout packed with drills that will develop skill and mobility. Capel was an outstanding player at Duke, became an assistant for the Blue Devils, and is now the head coach at the University of Pittsburgh. His stops at Virginia Commonwealth and Oklahoma resulted in multiple trips to the NCAA tournament.
Creating a Championship Post Player
To begin, Coach Capel demonstrates six offensive techniques that post players should master:
- Jump hook
- Drop step
- Quick go (one dribble into a running hook shot)
- Quick spin move
- Reverse pivot into a jump shot
Coach Capel teaches each move on both sides of the paint so that players develop the use of both the right and left hands.
Breakdown Shooting Drills
Capel then takes you through five intense shooting drills. The idea is to help post players develop the ability to score from multiple spots on the floor using flashes, duck-ins, rolls, pops, and more. The drills include:
- 4-Around-1 Breakdown Drill: A breakdown of shots and situations your post players will see in your offense
- 4- and 5-Shot Drill: These drills work on shots that posts will regularly take in games.
- Wing (Wide Action) and Angle Ball Screens (High Action): These drills work on improving the effectiveness of the two-man game.
- 5 Spot Skills (out of rips and off of offensive rebounds): Forces post players to develop skills from the perimeter, which is often uncomfortable.
Coach Capel’s post player development workout is essentially the same that is used at Duke. Use it and your players will become unstoppable multi-skilled and mobile big men. Rent this post player drills DVD today.