(Rental)-Breakdown Drills For Building The Pack Line Defense
- All copies are currently rented.
Videos Hide Videos Show Videos
Breakdown Drills for Building the Pack Line Defense
Forcing low percentage shots while keeping players out of foul trouble is the goal of Northern State University men’s head basketball coach Saul Phillips’ Pack Line defense. There are a number of variations of the Pack Line defense. Phillips takes what he learned from the legendary Bo Ryan and other great coaches that used the pack line defense and guides viewers through its implementation.
Coach Phillips, who took North Dakota State to two NCAA tournaments, focuses on installing the pack line defense using a variety of drills. No matter how big or small your staff is, Phillips will show you how to use each drill effectively.
Keys to Playing the Defense
The presentation begins with an explanation of why teams should use the pack line defense. The defense’s objective is to contain the dribble, prevent penetration, and keep the offense out of the paint. By doing so, the pack line defense forces teams to consistently make outside shots. The pack line defense contests those jump shots as well, which is one of the biggest keys to playing the defense.
Game-like Drills For Practice
Coach Phillips shares a series of drills to help players learn their responsibilities within the structure of the defense. The drills are easy to install and players are able to learn quickly as a result of performing them. The drills include:
- 1-on-2 Drive: Players focus on playing great 1-on-1 defense as well as help defense, which is the key to the defense’s success.
- 2-on-2 Closeout: Teaches proper spacing and quick weak side help.
- 3-on-3 Shell: The drill works on stopping dribble penetration and proper rotations to force the longest pass possible. The drill also focuses on perimeter players’ responsibilities and reactions when the ball goes into the post.
- 4-on-4 Shell: Coach Phillips teaches players how to react to common offensive actions such as Floppy, America, screen-the-screener, and pick-and-roll action.
The use of these drills has allowed Coach Phillips’ teams to use the pack line defense to even the playing field against teams that are more athletic. If you are looking for help in installing the Pack Line defense, Coach Phillips has you covered in this excellent video presentation. Rent this pack line defense DVD today.